As demand for storage continues to expand, the need for more efficient power solutions becomes paramount. WD RE2-GP makes it possible for large scale data centers to increase storage capacity without exceeding available power, and in many cases actually reduce power consumption. WD RE2-GP drives help combat the four major challenges large data installations face—total drive slots, maximum capacity, power allotment, and available operations expense budget—while lowering the overall total cost of ownership.
Reduced power consumption
- The combination of WD's IntelliSeek, IntelliPark, and IntelliPower technologies bring optimized performance at industry leading low power consumption; power is reduced as much as 40%.
Helps enable eco-friendly servers
- Each WD RE2-GP drive consumes an average of 4-5 watts less than competitor drives making it possible for energy-conscious customers to build servers with higher capacities, ensured reliability, and promote energy conservation.
Lower total cost of ownership
- Large data-hungry organizations such as financial institutions and web service providers may realize up to $10 savings per drive per year in electricity costs (U.S). A large data center with 10,000 drives could realize up to $100,000 in saving per year.
- A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate, and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. Additionally, GreenPower drives consume less current during start up allowing more drives to spin up simultaneously resulting in faster system readiness.
- Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower unnecessary power consumption, noise, and vibration.
- Delivers lower power consumption by automatically unloading recording heads during idle to reduce aerodynamic drag, and by disengaging read/write channel electronics.
Active Power Management
- WD GreenPower drives monitor work load and automatically invoke idle mode whenever possible to further reduce unnecessary power consumption. Drive recovery time from idle mode is less than one second, providing seamless power management between the drive and the host controller.
Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR)
- Employs PMR technology to achieve even greater areal density.
- Secures the motor shaft at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations. (750 GB and 1 TB only)
RAID-specific time-limited error recovery (TLER)
- Pioneered by WD, this feature prevents drive fallout caused by the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop drives.