The cost-effective Catalyst 2980G-A is the industry's highest density, small form factor, fixed-configuration Ethernet switch in an extremely compact package—only two rack units (3.5-inch, 8.8cm) high—delivering maximum ease of management and configuration. The switch packs 80 wire-speed, 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports with two, wire-speed, Gigabit Ethernet uplinks (flexible Gigabit Interface Converter [GBIC] slots). The Catalyst 2980G-A delivers all the Ethernet switching needed for many small- to medium-sized enterprise wiring closets in a single system without the need for additional modules, cables or other interconnects. Utilizing the same industry-leading software and functionality of the Catalyst 2948G, 4000, 5000 and 6000 families, the Catalyst 2980G-A has consistent end-to-end services, which ensure complete interoperability with enterprise Catalyst switches.
The Catalyst 2980G-A is a dedicated Ethernet switch featuring high-performance, Layer 2 switching for the wiring closet with low cost-per-port and advanced yet stable software capable of supporting a wide variety of switching features. The Catalyst 2980G-A is ideal in the wiring closet for desktop clients, yet retains the entry-price advantage of fixed-configuration solutions. This new Catalyst switch provides an efficient, simple, and cost-effective method for improving performance and eliminating network congestion with wire-speed, non-blocking, Layer 2, intelligent enterprise switching.
The Catalyst 2980G-A features:
* Dedicated 80-port, 10/100 Mbps Ethernet and two-port, 1000BaseX Gigabit Ethernet with flexible media interfaces
* Feature-rich enterprise Catalyst system software with advanced Cisco IOS® network services
* Comprehensive management tools based on standard CiscoWorks2000 applications
* 24 Gbps non-blocking switch fabric
* 18 million packets-per-second forwarding rate
* EtherChannel®, UplinkFast, PortFast and other fault-tolerant features
* Redundant Power System (RPS) Support